Become an AWC Detroit Chapter volunteer!
Serving on a committee is a good way to meet other members, work on an interesting project, enhance personal/professional growth and add credentials to your portfolio. Please contact our administrative office at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for a committee or specific assignment.
Program Committee – Help plan, arrange and promote meetings:
- Meeting Planning – Identify topics and make arrangements for speakers, venues, catering, etc.
- Program Promotion – Prepare program invitation, meeting announcements, newsletter articles and social media posts. (See PR Committee for press releases.)
- Hospitality Team – Register and greet guests at meetings.
Matrix Awards – Help plan annual gala event held in May:
- Program Planning – Select keynote speaker and organize agenda.
- Venue – Select facility, menu and table arrangements; coordinate room set-up and equipment.
- Awards – Call for nominations; coordinate judging, notification and plaque presentation.
- Ticket Sales and Sponsorship – Solicit sponsorships, corporate tables and individual ticket sales.
- Silent Auction – Help secure donations, promote items and manage onsite event.
- Reunion – Organize, promote and secure reservations for reunion of past presidents, headliners and former members.
Membership Committee – Attract, engage and retain members:
- Ambassador/Recruiter – Focus on your industry (healthcare, automotive, etc.) or your discipline (journalism, PR, marketing, graphic design, etc.) to bring in more members from your field.
- Prospect Coordinator – Follow up on inquiries and with prospects who attend AWC events.
- Alumni Liaison – Connect with the journalism, PR, communications or marketing department at your alma mater to promote participation in AWC programming and student membership.
- Member Retention – Encourage engagement and continuing involvement with AWC.
- Networking Facilitator – Help graduating seniors, new grads and young professionals get acquainted with AWC peers and experienced communicators.
Marketing Committee – Develop and execute all marketing strategies and initiatives.
- Branding and Graphic Design – Develop brand standards for our website and email marketing (newsletter and program announcements).
- Website Developer – Help with the redesign and enhancement of our chapter website.
- Social Media – Work with VP of Marketing to implement strategies across AWC’s Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn accounts. Propose ideas and relevant content.
- Photo Editor – Select and post photos on our website galleries and homepage banner.
- Videographer/Photographer – Capture events for web and social media posting.
- Newsletter Contributors – Write member profile articles or cover events.
PR Committee – Write press releases and promote chapter to the media.
Fund Development – Help secure sponsors and donors for meetings and special events.
Special Interest Forums – Help organize informal gatherings or meet-ups of affinity groups (e.g. freelancers, healthcare communicators, young professionals, digital communicators, etc.)
Mentors – Meet for coffee with a new grad or member in transition. Review portfolio and resume, discuss possible career paths and provide further contacts inside and outside the group.
Speakers – Represent AWC at career workshops, panel discussions or classroom presentations.