Become a Detroit Chapter volunteer!
Serving on a committee is a good way to meet other members, enhance personal/professional growth and add credentials to your portfolio. AWC Detroit offers leadership development and skills training through committee work, board service, mentoring and online publishing.
Please contact our administrative office at firstname.lastname@example.org to make your interest known.
As a professional sisterhood, our members come from all communications disciplines and backgrounds, working together to support opportunities for women to grow in the communications profession. Those organizations interested in collaborating with the Detroit Chapter of the Association for Women in Communications can contact email@example.com with request details.
- Meeting Planning – Identify topics and make arrangements for speakers, venues, catering, etc.
- Program Promotion – Prepare program invitation, meeting announcements, newsletter articles and social media posts. (See PR Committee for press releases.)
- Hospitality Team – Register and greet guests at meetings.
- Program Planning – Select keynote speaker and organize agenda.
- Venue – Select facility, menu and table arrangements; coordinate room set-up and equipment.
- Awards – Call for nominations; coordinate judging, notification and plaque presentation.
- Ticket Sales and Sponsorship – Solicit sponsorships, corporate tables and individual ticket sales.
- Silent Auction – Help secure donations, promote items and manage onsite event.
- Reunion – Organize, promote and secure reservations for reunion of past presidents, headliners and former members.
- Ambassador/Recruiter – Focus on your industry (healthcare, automotive, etc.) or your discipline (journalism, PR, marketing, graphic design, etc.) to bring in more members from your field.
- Prospect Coordinator – Follow up on inquiries and with prospects who attend AWC events.
- Alumni Liaison – Connect with the journalism, PR, communications or marketing department at your alma mater to promote participation in AWC programming and student membership.
- Member Retention – Encourage engagement and continuing involvement with AWC.
- Networking Facilitator – Help graduating seniors, new grads and young professionals get acquainted with AWC peers and experienced communicators.
- Branding and Graphic Design – Develop brand standards for our website and email marketing (newsletter and program announcements).
- Website Developer – Help with the redesign and enhancement of our chapter website.
- Social Media – Work with VP of Marketing to implement strategies across AWC’s Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn accounts. Propose ideas and relevant content.
- Photo Editor – Select and post photos on our website galleries and homepage banner.
- Videographer/Photographer – Capture events for web and social media posting.
- Newsletter Contributors – Write member profile articles or cover events.
Board of Directors
Members in good standing with at least one year of committee experience in AWC or other organization are eligible for a board position. Nominations are open in the spring. See Leadership page for positions.
Members and future members can view our career listings
Executive Director—WJR-AM, Detroit MI (October 2017)
Sports Reporter—WJRT-TV, Flint, MI (October 2017)
Director—WXYZ-TV, Southfield, MI (October 2017)
Assistant Program Director—NASH-FM, Detroit, MI (October 2017)
Personal Marketing Events Coordinator—Bosch, Farmington Hills, MI (October 2017)
Digital Strategist—Weber-Shandwick, Detroit, MI (October 2017)
Web Content Specialist—Summit Sports, Bloomfield Hills, MI (October 2017)
PR Specialist—NNG North America, Birmingham, MI (October 2017)
Social Media Specialist—Delphi, Troy, MI (October 2017)
Event Promoting and Marketing—HealthQuest, Metro Detroit, MI (October 2017)
Public Relations Manager—Rock Ventures LLC Detroit, MI (October 2017)
Social Media Strategist– Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor, MI (September 2017)
Receptionist– Productions Plus, Bingham Farms, MI (September 2017)
Media Manager– MGM Resorts International, Detroit, MI (September 2017)
Middle and High School Digital Arts/Video Production Teacher– Aim High School, Farmington, MI (September 2017)
Media Relations Intern– Detroit Tigers, Detroit, MI (September 2017)
Foreign Policy and Diplomacy Service Offer– Consulate General of Canada, Detroit, MI (September 2017)
Web Designer– AlixPartners, Detroit, MI (September 2017)
Client Relationship Manager– DOGTOPIA, Utica, MI (September 2017)
Promotion Coordinator–WDZH, Utica, MI (September 2017)
Account Executive–WXYZ, Southfield, MI (September 2017)
Marketing Coordinator—Hubbell, Roth & Clark, Inc., Bloomfield Hills, MI (August)
Direct of PR & Communications—Quicken Loans, Detroit, MI (August)
Senior Public Relations/Communications Manager—Creative Circle, Detroit, MI (August)
Vice President of Public Relations—Finn Partners Firm, Detroit, MI (August)
Internal Communications Specialist—Akebono Brake Corporation, Farmington Hills, MI (August)
Senior Specialist-Public Relations—Henry Ford Hospital, West Bloomfield, MI (August)
Outreach & Communications Specialist—University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI (August)
Corporate Communication—Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI (August)
Communications Specialist/Receptionist—Henry Ford Village, Dearborn, MI (August)
Media Relations Director—Detroit Police Department, Detroit, MI (August)
Marketing Communications Coordinator—University of Michigan, Dearborn, MI (August)
Submit Career Listing
Members can post and manage career opportunities on our website. Future members may submit up to two postings at a time for $25.[/fusion_text]
Easily connect with our members for networking, business opportunities and more. Available to current members.