Name: Kathleen Galligan
Company/Employer: Detroit Free Press
Career: I joined the Detroit Free Press photo department in 2003 and have split my time between photography, video and photo editing. Under the mentorship of Children First reporter Jack Kresnak, I spent many years covering child welfare and poverty issues. I now use my portrait, documentary and narrative skills to help corporate clients with personal branding.
- B.A. magna cum laude in History/English, May 1991 Madonna University
- Photography program, Center for Creative Studies, Detroit
What You Should Know:
- One of six women at the Detroit Free Press who filed a lawsuit last year against the paper for gender pay disparities. Earlier this month, a Federal Court Judge ruled against a motion by the Free Press to dismiss the lawsuit.
- 2009 Knight-Wallace Journalism Fellow at University of Michigan
- 2009 National Emmy Award, Boys of Christ Child House
- U.S. Army veteran (medic)
AWC Focus: I discovered AWC through author Pat Anstett while photographing women for her breast cancer book. I want to increase my commitment to feminist issues and meet like-minded women.
- Family and hometown – I live in Ferndale. I have two sons and 2 granddaughters
- Interests – Argentine Tango addict
- Causes/volunteer service – Women’s issues and children’s rights
Visit Kathleen’s photography website HERE.