Name: Pam Houghton
Title: Writer/editor/administrator of print and digital advertising; freelance writer
Company/Employer: Lawrence Technological University; self
Career: I work in Marketing and Public Affairs for Lawrence Technological University, administrating print and digital advertising. I also work as a freelance feature and essay writer and have appeared in local publications including MetroParent, Michigan Prime, Hour Media’s Health Guide, Detroit Jewish News, Crain’s Detroit (custom content division) and many others. I have also written copy for several business and non-profit organizations.
What you should know:
- I wrote on the side as a hobby while working in the IT industry for over 20 years.
- I transitioned to freelance writing after a corporate downsizing during 2008-09 recession.
- Even though I currently work as a creative, I am strangely good with details. I should probably thank my years in the corporate world for that!
- I have a professional writer’s website where I (try to) blog on a semi-regular basis: pamhoughton.com
Bachelor of Arts from Michigan State University
I’ve known about the organization for many years and have attended a handful of their events, which have always been impressive. I recently joined as a result of my role at Lawrence Tech. I have volunteered to work on the marketing committee.
- Family and/or hometown: I was born in Detroit and live with my husband in Troy, where we raised our two children.
- General Interests: reading, Netflix, family, puppies
- Passionate causes: I enjoy writing and contributing stories on the topic of parenting. I guess you could say that’s a passion. There are many layers to parenting and different opinions on how to be a good parent. As an empty-nester, I at least have the perspective to say, you only need to be a “good enough” parent.