Become a Detroit Chapter volunteer!
Serving on a committee is a good way to meet other members, enhance personal/professional growth and add credentials to your portfolio. AWC Detroit offers leadership development and skills training through committee work, board service, mentoring and online publishing.
Please contact our administrative office at firstname.lastname@example.org to make your interest known.
The Association for Women in Communications Detroit Chapter is driven to use our members’ professional communications skills for the good of women. We collaborate and support women’s non-profit organizations and causes by employing our communications expertise to raise awareness, gain supporters and garner funding.
As a professional sisterhood, our members come from all communications disciplines and backgrounds, working together to support opportunities for women to grow in the communications profession. Those organizations interested in collaborating with the Detroit Chapter of the Association for Women in Communications can contact email@example.com with request details.
- Meeting Planning – Identify topics and make arrangements for speakers, venues, catering, etc.
- Program Promotion – Prepare program invitation, meeting announcements, newsletter articles and social media posts. (See PR Committee for press releases.)
- Hospitality Team – Register and greet guests at meetings.
- Ambassador/Recruiter – Focus on your industry (healthcare, automotive, etc.) or your discipline (journalism, PR, marketing, graphic design, etc.) to bring in more members from your field.
- Prospect Coordinator – Follow up on inquiries and with prospects who attend AWC events.
- Alumni Liaison – Connect with the journalism, PR, communications or marketing department at your alma mater to promote participation in AWC programming and student membership.
- Member Retention – Encourage engagement and continuing involvement with AWC.
- Networking Facilitator – Help graduating seniors, new grads and young professionals get acquainted with AWC peers and experienced communicators.
- Branding and Graphic Design – Develop brand standards for our website and email marketing (newsletter and program announcements).
- Website Developer – Help with the redesign and enhancement of our chapter website.
- Social Media – Work with VP of Marketing to implement strategies across AWC’s Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn accounts. Propose ideas and relevant content.
- Photo Editor – Select and post photos on our website galleries and homepage banner.
- Videographer/Photographer – Capture events for web and social media posting.
- Newsletter Contributors – Write member profile articles or cover events.
Help organize informal gatherings or meet-ups of affinity groups (e.g. freelancers, healthcare communicators, young professionals, digital communicators, etc.)
Meet for coffee with a new grad or member in transition. Review portfolio and resume, discuss possible career paths and provide further contacts inside and outside the group.
- Assist AWC in developing programming geared to young professionals.
- Attract more mid-career and young professionals and grow the member base with next-gen leaders.
- Promote events on social media, brainstorm ideas and provide feedback on programming.
You must login to access exclusive content.